David Christiaan de Waal, a close friend of Cecil John Rhodes and mayor of Cape Town in 1889 and 1890, saw the potential for a park in the land below the recently constructed Molteno Reservoir, which bordered by the road leading up to the Oranjezicht farm, Camp Street (already an important road) and an orchard.
De Waal Park was opened to the public.
The Victorian Fountain was installed in the middle of the park.
Apart from the exotic trees that were planted, many at the instigation of D C de Waal who had a passion for trees, the wall along Camp Street was built followed by the wall up Upper Orange Street.
The bandstand was moved to the park after its use in the Cape Town Industrial Exhibition in Green Point. Military bands performed there on Sunday afternoons for many years.
The park became the venue of the annual Theatrical Garden Party (the origin of today’s Community Chest Carnival).
The park was declared a National Monument.
A pond was built around the Victorian fountain, diagonal footpaths were laid and lighting was installed, forming the basic structure of the park so well loved today.
The Friends of De Waal Park was formed.
Concerts in the park return at the instigation of the FDWP.